This marks the first featured breakfast dish we have created and what better breakfast staple to make than biscuits and gravy? Light fluffy biscuits and delicious venison gravy are sure to make for the perfect start to your day.
Serves 4 to 6 people
Venison Gravy –
1 lb of ground venison
1/3 Cup of flour
3 Cups of whole milk
1/2 Teaspoon of seasoned salt
2 Teaspoons of pepper
(optional) 1 Teaspoon of cayenne
3 Cups of flour
2 Tablespoons of sugar
4 Teaspoons of baking powder
2 Sticks of unsalted butter
1/2 Teaspoon of baking soda
1 1/4 Cups of buttermilk
1 1/2 Teaspoons of salt
- To start things out you will need a large mixing bowl. Add in your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and wisk together well. Using a hand grater grate your sticks of butter (it helps if you place in the freezer for 30 minutes prior). Grate all but 2 tablespoons of butter and set that aside for later. Mix in the butter with the flour mixture. Next pour in your buttermilk and stir with a spatula until it has combined
- Lightly flour your work space and your hands to help avoid any sticking. Place your dough in the center of your work area. The dough will still be pretty dry and will not be holding together well. Using your hands work the dough into about a 7 x 7 inch square. Next roll the dough into a 12 x 9 inch rectangle. From there using your hands fold the dough into thirds. One side to the center followed by the other side as you would fold a letter. Then rotate the dough and repeat the process of rolling into the 12 x 9 rectangle, folding, and the rotate. Continue this process 5 more times. With each step you will feel the dough start to firm up more and more.
- Prepare a baking sheet and place the dough onto the sheet. Work the dough into roughly a 9 x 9 x 1 inch square. Taking a knife carefully cut the dough into 9 even squares and separate each on the sheet by about 1 inch. Next place the dough into the refrigerator for 30 minutes. While those set, set your oven to bake at 400 degrees.
- After you remove the dough from the refrigerator take your remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and melt it in a separate bowl. Brush the tops of each biscuit with the melted butter. Next place the biscuits in the oven on the center rack and let bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until golden brown.
- While those bake you can begin to prepare the gravy. In a medium pan on a medium heat brown the ground venison. Once browned add in 1/3 cup of of flour and stir in well. Once stirred in add the remaining cup of flour and stir in until you don’t see much or any of the flour. Add the whole milk and continue stirring. Next add your salt and black pepper and stir in well. If you like things with a little spice like us you can also stir in the optional teaspoon of cayenne. Continue stirring everything until the gravy begins to thicken.
- Once the rolls finish allow to cool for a few minutes and serve pouring the venison gravy over the top. Hope you enjoy!